Friday, 24 December 2010

Season's greetings

Hi there, gentle readers

Best wishes of the season to you - whether you celebrate Solstice, Christmas, some other festival, or no festival at all. Having had a vaguely Christian upbringing, and living in a country where Christianity is still the official state religion, Christmas is what I'm used to, even if the original religious aspects are now largely submerged in an orgy of commerce.

At the moment, it's looking as if it will be a white Christmas here, as there is still snow lying on the ground, despite several days of temperatures just above freezing, and hence a slow thaw. I've lived all my life in southern England, and this will be the first time that I can remember snow on Christmas Day!

As is traditional in my family, I will be spending Christmas with my parents; I will be away from later on today until some time on Tuesday 28th. I'm likely to be "off air" for the duration - I may read e-mail, but I very much doubt I will be active in blog-land.

At this point I think I should also continue one of my own traditions here, and introduce new followers. This time round there's only one, Micky, whose blog It's Getting Better is doing me a great service in keeping me up to date with news of gay rights issues and other political matters.

I think that's it for now - present-wrapping and packing beckon...

Take care

Mark

7 comments:

  1. Have a great Christmas Mark :)
    jack xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark
    Wishing you and yours all the best for a happy Christmas from a still-snowy Cornwall.
    Nadelik Lowen.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the plug!

    It's not quite so unusual to have a white Christmas here in Derbyshire, but it's nice to know that you're in solidarity with us this year anyway!

    Have a great time - Pete and I will be roasting a duck and having a very Merry Mid-Winter while the FB chases snowballs in the park!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas, Mark! Have a safe and happy trip!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Submerged in an orgy of commerce" = LOVE it. So very true, you definately have a way with words. Hope your Christmas is turning out really good =D
    Aidan
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry White Christmas, Mark!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mark :)
    I hope that you've had a very good Christmas and are having a lovely time with your family ^^ be safe travelling, the horrible weather is still very much around!

    Lauren x

    ReplyDelete